Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gift card holders

A group of my super talented and crafty friends got together last month in Florida. I was not able to attend but wanted to send down a gift for each of the girls. So I picked up some gift cards and just "had" to make some card holders (after all, these are some of the craftiest ladies that I know!!).

Anyway, I made these little card holders once at a scrapbooking convention. So I used the template from what I saw there to create 13 card holders for the Michaels or Joanns gift cards that were included.



First, I cut the base paper 3 1/2 x 12 inches (for these holders I used plain white cardstock as the base).



Then score the lines (3.5", .5", 3.75", 1.5")



Now you have the base of the gift card holder.

Then cut a fun double sided paper at 2.5" x 12" and making the exact same scoring lines as above.  I typically use the left over double sided paper to cut into .5 inch x 4.5 inch strips that I use as both the handle and also the piece to hold in the gift card. To make the handle I attached the .5 inch strip to the inside of the 2.5'x x 12", flip it over the top and attach it to the other inside as shown below.




Once the handle is attached, then glue down the strip to the base cardstock. The gift holder is now taking shape.


I used spellbinder dies to cut out cute scalloped squares (one in plain white the other in the same double sided cardstock.  You can also use punches, but it is a fun and easy element to add a little something to the front of the gift card holders.





Then attach the squares to the front of the card holder.  Using a hole punch, punch holes on the sides of the squares. We are going to use ribbons to hold the card holder together.


I also attached one of the .5 strips on the insides of the card holder to hold the gift card. Anyway, here is the finished product...


And a side view:

And finally all of them packed in a box ready to ship to Florida


I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial on how to make a fun gift card holder.




1 comment:

  1. I was one of the lucky recipients of these little gift card holders and they were adorable :) Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete